Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Beginning

A number of people have told me, especially my wife, that I should write a blog about things I've eaten, places I've gone, and dishes I've made. I know there are tons of blogs out there that talk about these things, and that my blog would probably get lost. But I'll try it anyway.

Here I go...

Tonight, I have made 2 dishes. The first is a simple dish of steamed fresh dungeoness crab. I used a couple of slices of ginger and one outer section of a lemongrass to put into the steaming liquid (water). The crab was steamed for about 20 minutes until the crab was a nice orange color. I like how the aroma of the crab just fills the house. The crab is served with a dipping sauce of soy sauce, fresh green chilis, sesame oil, Chinkiang black vinegar, sugar, fresh pepper and cilantro. The crab was so good, especially the bitter soft tissue in the body.

The second dish is a soup of pork spare ribs and Chinese yam. The Chinese yam is an interesting root. It has a light tan color with brown spots. After peeling it, the flesh is slimy. The trick is to cut it into 1-inch pieces and then steam it for a couple of minutes. Steaming will remove the slime. It does not have much flavor on its own. The soup is flavored with ginger and scallions. Very simple and delicious. Also, full of nutrients.

That's about it.

TH

No comments:

Post a Comment