Monday, February 22, 2010

Who Likes Their Lamb gamy?

Well, I like it somewhat gamy, because it tells me that I'm eating real lamb and not some other red meat. Sometimes when I burp, the air is laced with that gamy odor even after eating for many hours. The gamy flavor reminds me of the pastures that the lamb once grazed on, and now I feel as if I had been there.



Yesterday, I roasted a leg of lamb.



After generously salting the lamb, I put a nice dry rub of freshly ground spices: mustard seeds, coriander, black peppercorns, turmeric powder, allspice powder, and star anise. The meat is then put into the frige to hang for a couple of hours. Before you cook it, preheat the oven to 450F. Bring the lamb to room temp before you stick it into the hot oven. Set the timer for 25 minutes so that the lamb gets a nice golden crust. Then cover it with foil and continue to cook at 350F until desired doneness (160F for medium). Let rest otherwise the juices will flow everywhere.

I'd pair this up with sauteed broccoli and toasted almonds, or any kind of veg, like ratatouille.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment